1. How are the slots for the Round of 32 Decided?
Each state and territory is allocated a number of slots in the Round of 32, based on the number of registered players and number of each Member Federation’s entrants in the Preliminary Rounds. Each state and territory decides the qualification route.
For the first time in 2015, a club from the Northern Territory will participate in the Preliminary Rounds (pre Round of 32) and be granted a direct slot into the Round of 32, making the Westfield FFA Cup a truly national competition.
The decision in regards to determining the number of slots each Member Federation received in 2015 was made after a review of the inaugural year and feedback received from the Westfield FFA Cup Advisory Committee which is comprised of representatives from the Member Federations, Hyundai A-League clubs, the Professional Footballers Association and FFA.
Another change from the inaugural year of the competition is the allocation of an automatic Round of 32 slot to the PlayStation 4 National Premier Leagues Champions, which sees South Australian club MetroStars SC become the first Member Federation club confirmed in the Round of 32.
The final allocation for the Round of 32 comprises:
- Twenty-two Member Federation clubs comprising:
Football NSW - 5 clubs
Football Federation Victoria - 4 clubs
Football Queensland - 4 clubs
Football West - 2 clubs
NNSW Football - 2 clubs
Capital Football - 1 club
Football Federation SA - 1 club
Football Federation Tasmania - 1 club
Football Federation Northern Territory - 1 club
PlayStation 4 National Premier Leagues Champion - 1 club
- All ten Hyundai A-League clubs
2. How many Westfield FFA Cup 2015 matches will be broadcast live on FOX SPORTS?
FOX SPORTS Coverage
- The FOX SPORTS broadcast schedule will consist of 11 LIVE full broadcast matches and single camera coverage of all other 20 matches from the Round of 32 up to the Cup Final.
- Round of 32 will feature 16 matches across four match days. FOX SPORTS is committed to broadcasting four of the matches LIVE with updates and crosses from a single camera at the other 12 matches.
- Round of 16 will feature eight matches across two match days – two LIVE full broadcast with updates and crosses from a single camera at the six other matches.
- Quarter Finals will feature four matches across two match days – two LIVE full broadcast with updates and crosses from a single camera at the other two matches.
- Semi Finals will feature two matches across two days, both broadcast LIVE.
- The Final will be broadcast LIVE.
3. What are the Preliminary Round dates and formats for each State and Territory?
|Member Federation||Qualifying Dates||Notes|
|Capital Football||9 Mar - 8 Jun||One Round of 32 entrant known on 8 June 2015|
|Football Federation South Australia||4 Apr - 28 Jun||One Round of 32 entrant known on 28 June 2015|
|Football West||21 Feb - 22 Jun||Two Round of 32 entrants known on 22 June 2015|
|Football New South Wales||14 Mar - 13 May||Five Round of 32 entrants known on 13 May 2015|
|Football Queensland||13 Feb - TBC||Four Round of 32 entrants|
|Football Federation Victoria||14 Feb - 25 Jun||Four Round of 32 entrants known on 25 June 2015|
|Football Federation Tasmania||9 Mar - 8 Jun||One Round of 32 entrant known on 8 June 2015|
|Northern New South Wales Football||13 Feb - 20 Jun||Two Round of 32 entrants known on 20 June 2015|
|Football Federation Northern Territory||28 Mar - 27 Jun||One Round of 32 entrant|
4. What are the possible dates of the Westfield FFA Cup 2015 Final Round matches?
|Round of 32||
Tues 28 / Wed 29 July 2015
Tues 4 / Wed 5 August 2015
Tues 11 / Wed 12 August 2015
|Round of 16||
Tues 25 / Wed 26 August 2015
Tues 1 / Wed 2 September 2015
Tues 22 / Wed 23 September 2015
Tues 29 / Wed 30 September 2015
Tues 20 / Wed 21 October 2015
Tues 27 / Wed 28 October 2015
|Cup Final||Saturday 7 November 2015|
5. What are the Draw Principles for the Westfield FFA Cup Draw?
The Draw Principles seek to enable fixtures between Hyundai A-League and semi-pro and amateur clubs throughout the draw.
In addition, the Draw Principles balance the vagaries of different season schedules between the professional tier (predominantly summer) and the non-professional tiers (predominantly winter).
Further, the Draw Principles take into account the impact of Hyundai A-League finals and Asian Champions League commitments.
For the live Round of 32 draw, there will be three Pots from which the participating clubs will be drawn as follows:
- Pot A - the Hyundai A-League Clubs who finish in the Top 4 of the 2014/15 Season after the Finals Series (i.e. make the Hyundai A-League Semi Finals).
- Pot B - the Hyundai A-League Clubs who finish in the Bottom 6 of the 2014/15 Season after the Finals Series.
- Pot C - the 22 qualified Member Federation Clubs.
Clubs will be drawn from Pots in chronological order as determined by the Round of 32 match schedule until all Clubs have been allocated a fixture.
For the Round of 16 draw, Quarter Finals and Semi Finals, clubs will be allocated into one of two Pots for the Live Draws:
- Pot A - Hyundai A-League Clubs
- Pot B - Member Federation Clubs
6. Why are Hyundai A-League clubs seeded into the Round of 32?
Consideration has been given to season phasing and providing each club with the best opportunity to compete at full strength.
This seeding for the Round of 32 provides Hyundai A-League Clubs with some certainty in order to plan pre-season schedules around Westfield FFA Cup matches. Appreciating this is a period when Hyundai A-League clubs generally do not play competitive matches, it also ensures there is an equality of off-season across all 10 Hyundai A-League clubs, as those clubs who play later in the 2014/15 Hyundai A-League Finals Series are seeded into the later Round of 32 matches in order to maximise player availability during the traditional off-season.
This year the Westfield FFA Cup will be even bigger with the inclusion of the Preliminary Rounds plus a reduced match window that will see the Quarter Finals completed prior to the start of the Hyundai A-League season. These changes will help Member Federation clubs by holding the majority of matches during their league season as well as assisting the Hyundai A-League clubs with organising competitive pre-season matches.
7. Why does the Westfield FFA Cup draw produce a Semi FInal with at least one Member Federation Club?
The Draw Principles provide for at least one Member Federation club to qualify for the Westfield FFA Cup Semi Finals. It is important that the Westfield FFA Cup is differentiated from existing competitions and provides a genuine opportunity for grassroots and NPL clubs to compete on the national stage.
Member Federation club(s) that progress to the Westfield FFA Cup Semi Finals will have earned their berth. In order for a Member Federation club to qualify for the Semi Final of the Westfield FFA Cup, the club would have already had to, firstly, qualify via their relevant State Cup and, secondly, win three Westfield FFA Cup Final Round matches.
8. Why is Wellington Phoenix participating in the Westfield FFA Cup?
As a club licensed by FFA to particpate in the Hyundai A-League, Wellington Phoenix should be afforded the same opportunity as other Hyundai A-League clubs to play in the Westfield FFA Cup. As a professional club, Wellington Phoenix is not able to play in New Zealand Football's Chatham Cup.
In accordance with FIFA Regulations, Wellington Phoenix's participation in the Westfield FFA Cup has been approved by FIFA, the AFC, the OFC and New Zealand Football.
Wellington Phoenix will play all Westfield FFA Cup matches in Australia.
9. Will FFA cover the costs of travel for competing Clubs?
FFA will cover reasonable flights, ground transport and accommodation for a travelling party of 21 for each travelling Away club.
10. Who retains the rights to ticket revenue?
The home club will incur applicable venue hosting costs and receive all associated ticket revenue, excluding the Westfield FFA Cup Final which will be run by FFA.
11. How will the home Clubs be determined?
Where matches involve Member Federation clubs only, the first drawn club will be given hosting rights. Where matches involve a Member Fededation club and a Hyundai A-League club, the Member Federation club will be given the right to host. Where both clubs involved are Hyundai A-League clubs, the first drawn club will have hosting rights.
12. Will suburban grounds be able to meet the Westfield FFA Cup Venue and Security Standards for broadcast matches?
FFA wants to embrace the unique atmosphere of cup competitions and play as many Westfield FFA Cup matches at suburban grounds as possible. However, each venue will need to meet appropriate Minimum Venue and Security Standards that will be in place for the Westfield FFA Cup.
13. Why are all matches scheduled to be played on a Tuesday or Wednesday night?
This creates consistency for the viewer and fan to identify with Tuesday or Wednesday nights as the nights to watch the Westfield FFA Cup.
For player welfare reasons, matches may be rescheduled depending on the league fixtures of the participating clubs.
14. Where will be Westfield FFA Cup Final be played?
Similar to the Hyundai A-League Grand Final, the venue for the Cup Final will be determined in the interest of FFA, competing clubs, their members and supporters.