1. How are the slots for the Round of 32 decided?
Each state and territory is allocated a number of slots in the Round of 32, based on the number of registered players and number of each Member Federation’s entrants in the Preliminary Rounds. Each state and territory decides the qualification route.
The Westfield FFA Cup became a truly national competition in 2015 when the Northern Territory started to participate in the Preliminary Rounds (pre Round of 32) and were granted a slot in the Round of 32.
The decision in regards to determining the number of slots each Member Federation receives is made after a review of the previous year and feedback received from the Westfield FFA Cup Advisory Committee which is comprised of representatives from the Member Federations, Hyundai A-League clubs, the Professional Footballers Association and FFA.
In 2015 the competition also saw the start of an automatic Round of 32 slot being allocated to the reigning PlayStation 4 National Premier Leagues Champions of Australia.
The final allocation for the Round of 32 in 2017 comprises:
- Twenty-two (22) Member Federation clubs comprising:
Football NSW - 5 clubs
Football Federation Victoria - 4 clubs
Football Queensland - 4 clubs
Football West - 2 clubs
Northern NSW Football - 2 clubs
Capital Football - 1 club
Football Federation SA - 1 club
Football Federation Tasmania - 1 club
Football Federation Northern Territory - 1 club
PlayStation 4 National Premier Leagues Champion - 1 club
- All ten Hyundai A-League clubs
2. How many Westfield FFA Cup matches will be broadcast live on FOX SPORTS?
FOX SPORTS coverage
- The FOX SPORTS broadcast schedule will consist of 11 LIVE full broadcast matches and coverage of all other 20 matches from the Round of 32 onwards.
- Round of 32 will feature 16 matches across four match days. FOX SPORTS is committed to broadcasting four of the matches LIVE with cameras at the other 12 matches.
- Round of 16 will feature eight matches across two match days – two LIVE full broadcast with cameras at the six other matches.
- Quarter Finals will feature four matches across two match days – two LIVE full broadcast with cameras at the other two matches.
- Semi Finals will feature two matches across two match days, both broadcast LIVE.
- The Westfield FFA Cup Final 2017 will be broadcast LIVE.
3. What are the Preliminary Round dates and formats for each State and Territory?
|Member Federation||Qualifying Dates||Notes|
|Capital Football||9 Mar - 17 Jun||One Round of 32 entrant known by 17 June 2017|
|Football Federation South Australia||4 Apr - 25 Jun||One Round of 32 entrant known by 25 June 2017|
|Football West||21 Feb - 5 Jun||Two Round of 32 entrants known by 5 June 2017|
|Football New South Wales||14 Mar - 31 May||Five Round of 32 entrants known by 31 May 2017|
|Football Queensland||13 Feb - TBC||Four Round of 32 entrants known by 11 June 2017|
|Football Federation Victoria||14 Feb - 24 May||Four Round of 32 entrants known by 24 May 2017|
|Football Federation Tasmania||9 Mar - 17 Jun||One Round of 32 entrant known by 17 June 2017|
|Northern New South Wales Football||13 Feb - 14 Jun||Two Round of 32 entrants known by 14 June 2017|
|Football Federation Northern Territory||28 Mar - 24 Jun||One Round of 32 entrant known by 24 June 2017|
4. What are the possible dates of the Westfield FFA Cup 2017 Final Round matches?
|Round of 32||
Tues 25 / Wed 26 July 2017
Tues 1 / Wed 2 August 2017
Tues 8 / Wed 9 August 2017
|Round of 16||
Wed 23 August 2017
Tues 29 / Wed 30 August 2017
Wed 13 September 2017
Tues 19 / Wed 20 September 2017
Tues 17 / Wed 18 October 2017
Tues 24 / Wed 25 October 2017
|Cup Final||Wednesday 22 November 2017|
5. What are the Draw Principles for the Westfield FFA Cup Draw?
The Draw Principles seek to enable fixtures between Hyundai A-League and semi-pro and amateur clubs throughout the draw.
In addition, the Draw Principles balance the vagaries of different season schedules between the professional tier (predominantly summer) and the non-professional tiers (predominantly winter).
Further, the Draw Principles take into account the impact of Hyundai A-League finals and Asian Champions League commitments.
For the live Round of 32 draw, there are two Pots from which the participating clubs will be drawn as follows:
- Pot A - the ten Hyundai A-League clubs
- Pot B - 22 qualified Member Federation clubs
Clubs will be drawn from Pots in chronological order as determined by the Round of 32 match schedule until all Clubs have been allocated a fixture.
For the Round of 16 draw, Quarter Finals and Semi Finals, clubs will be allocated into one of two Pots for the Live Draws:
- Pot A - Hyundai A-League clubs
- Pot B - Member Federation clubs
6. Why does the Westfield FFA Cup draw produce a Semi FInal with at least one Member Federation Club?
The Draw Principles provide for at least one Member Federation club to qualify for the Westfield FFA Cup Semi Finals. It is important that the Westfield FFA Cup is differentiated from existing competitions and provides a genuine opportunity for grassroots and NPL clubs to compete on the national stage.
Member Federation club(s) that progress to the Westfield FFA Cup Semi Finals will have earned their berth. In order for a Member Federation club to qualify for the Semi Final of the Westfield FFA Cup, the club would have already had to, firstly, qualify via their relevant State Cup and, secondly, win three Westfield FFA Cup Final Round matches.
7. Why is Wellington Phoenix participating in the Westfield FFA Cup?
As a club licensed by FFA to particpate in the Hyundai A-League, Wellington Phoenix should be afforded the same opportunity as other Hyundai A-League clubs to play in the Westfield FFA Cup. As a professional club, Wellington Phoenix is not able to play in New Zealand Football's Chatham Cup.
In accordance with FIFA Regulations, Wellington Phoenix's participation in the Westfield FFA Cup has been approved by FIFA, the AFC, the OFC and New Zealand Football.
Wellington Phoenix will play all Westfield FFA Cup matches in Australia.
8. Will FFA cover the costs of travel for competing Clubs?
FFA will cover reasonable flights, ground transport and accommodation for a travelling party of 21 for each travelling Away club.
9. Who retains the rights to ticket revenue?
The home club will incur applicable venue hosting costs and receive all associated ticket revenue, excluding the Westfield FFA Cup Final which will be run by FFA.
10. How will the home Clubs be determined?
Where matches involve Member Federation clubs only, the first drawn club will be given hosting rights. Where matches involve a Member Fededation club and a Hyundai A-League club, the Member Federation club will be given the right to host. Where both clubs involved are Hyundai A-League clubs, the first drawn club will have hosting rights.
11. Will suburban grounds be able to meet the Westfield FFA Cup Venue and Security Standards for broadcast matches?
FFA wants to embrace the unique atmosphere of cup competitions and play as many Westfield FFA Cup matches at suburban grounds as possible. However, each venue will need to meet appropriate Minimum Venue and Security Standards that will be in place for the Westfield FFA Cup.
12. Why are all matches scheduled to be played on a Tuesday or Wednesday night?
This creates consistency for the viewer and fan to identify with Tuesday or Wednesday nights as the nights to watch the Westfield FFA Cup.
For player welfare reasons, matches may be rescheduled depending on the league fixtures of the participating clubs.
13. Where will be Westfield FFA Cup Final be played?
Similar to the Hyundai A-League Grand Final, the venue for the Cup Final will be determined in the interest of FFA, competing clubs, their members and supporters.