Thrilling FFA Cup Final won by Sydney FC in extra time
In the most entertaining Westfield FFA Cup Final to date, a relentless Sydney FC have edged a brave Adelaide United 2-1 after extra time in a cracking Cup Final on Tuesday night.
The win makes it a clean sweep of domestic trophies in 2017 for Graham Arnold's Sky Blues.
STORY OF THE GAME
- SUPER SAVE! 11 mins Sydney FC keeper Andrew Redmayne denying Ryan Kitto low down.
- GOAL! 18 mins and Sydney FC's Milos Ninkovic makes it 1-0 to the hosts.
- Momentum shift, as the Sky Blues began to pick apart and play through the overworked Reds' backline.
- TOP STOP: Paul Izzo in the United goal denying Bobo as Sydney FC pressed for a second.
- Ninkovic with an injury concern to his calf. He was off the pitch but came back on rather gingerly.
- 1-0 HALF TIME: Entertaining, great tempo on a pristine Allianz surface with the Sky Blues deservedly one up.
- REDS HIT THE BAR! One minute in and a beautiful free kick from Ben Garuccio rattled Redmayne's crossbar.
- Nobbled Ninkovic with two moments of sublime skill before subbed off on 61 mins. Carney on.
- GOAL! 67 mins and Adelaide's Nik Mileusnic with a peach to make it 1-1.
- CRUCIAL SAVES: Izzo twice denied Sydney FC in a frantic final 10 mins of penalty shouts and desperate play.
- 1-1 FULL TIME
- MISSED CHANCES FOR REDS Exciting sub Mark Ochieng with a brilliant driving run into the Sky Blues' box that almost resulted in a goal. From the loose ball, the Reds blasted over.
- Minutes later the electric Ochieng set up Blackwood for another great chance.
- HALF TIME IN EXTRA TIME: 1-1
- GOAL! Bobo buried his header in front of the Cove to make it 2-1.
- RED CARD AND HUGE BUST UP! An incredible bust up near the tunnel involving almost all players and coaches after Reds defender Michael Marrone was red carded.
- 5 mins of time added on.
- FULL TIME: 2-1
Ninkovic, Sydney FC 18’: 1-0
Sydney FC pounced with lovely interplay between Bobo and Brosque, releasing Ninkovic in space facing the Reds box, he shaped to hit, shifted to his right and fired low past Paul Izzo in the Reds goal.
Mileusnic, Adelaide 67’: 1-1
Gulum with the long raking ball into the box. On the right, Mileusnic controlled it, cleverly shifted it across, brought it onto his left foot and curled a pearler past Redmayne.
Bobo, Sydney FC 110’: 2-1
Mierzejewski with the perfect set piece delivery and Bobo's header downwards beat the excellent Izzo.
FFA Cup Final 2018 Player to Watch: Siem de Jong
Adelaide United nullified Sydney FC in last Friday night's Hyundai A-League opener, and Siem de Jong was one of the most obvious victims. Having arrived at the Harbour City with big expectations and the club standard raised sky-high, the 29-year-old will understandably be unde
WATCH: Great 2017 Westfield FFA Cup moments – Mileusnic’s Cup final cracker
Never before in the final of a Westfield FFA Cup has an away team managed to score a goal. That was until Adelaide United winger Nikola Mileusnic delivered something special in the 2017 decider against Sydney FC. With the Reds trailing 1-0 midway through the second half, Er
2017 a year to remember for Sydney FC
2017 just keeps getting better for Sydney FC. With the Hyundai A-League Premiership and Championship trophies already safely locked away after their all-conquering Hyundai A-League 2016/17 season, they've added another piece of silverware. The Westfield FFA Cup will spend t
Sydney star's 'extra special' Westfield FFA Cup satisfaction
Luke Wilkshire says Sydney FC's hard-earned Westfield FFA Cup Final win over Adelaide United perfectly captured his reasons for returning to Australia. The former Caltex Socceroo lifted only his second senior club trophy as Bobo's extra-time header gave the Sky Blues a 2-1 win
Arnie's extra-time message to Westfield FFA Cup Final winners
Sydney FC boss Graham Arnold has revealed the psychological advantage his players gained prior to Bobo's extra-time winner in the Westfield FFA Cup Final on Tuesday night. Level at 1-1 after a tense 90 minutes, a tiring Sydney came up with the decisive second goal in the 111th
Mark Viduka Medal winner targeted Westfield FFA Cup triumph
Mark Viduka Medallist Adrian Mierzejewski had full confidence Sydney FC would win the Westfield FFA Cup Final and says he's far from satisfied with a single trophy. Mierzejewski was named best afield for his excellent display in the 2-1 extra-time defeat of Adelaide United, ta
Bobo 'proud' of Westfield FFA Cup champions Sydney FC
Westfield FFA Cup Final match-winner Bobo deflected praise to his teammates after Sydney FC survived a war of attrition against Adelaide United to win the competition for the first time in an epic finale. Bobo headed home Adrian Mierzejewski's 111th-minute free-kick to seal a
Thrilling FFA Cup Final won by Sydney FC in extra time
In the most entertaining Westfield FFA Cup Final to date, a relentless Sydney FC have edged a brave Adelaide United 2-1 after extra time in a cracking Cup Final on Tuesday night. The win makes it a clean sweep of domestic trophies in 2017 for Graham Arnold's Sky Blues. ST
Westfield FFA Cup Final stats preview: Sydney FC v Adelaide United
Adelaide United have the chance to become the first team to win the Westfield FFA Cup twice when they meet Sydney FC in Tuesday night's highly-anticipated decider. But can the Reds get the job done at Allianz Stadium? Here are the key facts and stats you need to know for th
Kurz: 'underdogs' Adelaide can cause Westfield FFA Cup Final upset
Adelaide United manager Marco Kurz put the pressure on Sydney FC by insisting his side are underdogs for the Westfield FFA Cup Final on Tuesday night. The Sky Blues returned to the top of the Hyundai A-League over the weekend and are attempting to win the only piece of silverw