Canberra Olympic claim back to back Federation Cups

Canberra Olympic have qualified for a second successive Westfield FFA Cup Round of 32 spot, beating Tuggeranong United 2-0 at Deakin Stadium.

The PlayStation 4 NPL Capital Football ladder leaders put in a dominant performance, and Robbie Cattanach's brace saw Frank Cachia’s squad come out on top to put them into the Round of 32. 

After a high intensity start from both sides, Olympic fired the first warning shot, with Tom McLachlan sending in a curling effort that didn't test Tom Barton in goals. Sean Murphy’s side looked to absorb Olympic’s high pressing game, as Tuggeranong searched for space in behind the NPL leaders using the pace of Aisosa Ihegie and Nikolaos Kalfas on the counter attack.

A strong Olympic side continued to apply pressure, and after a disallowed goal from Stephen Domeneci in the 12th minute, last year’s qualification final winners broke the deadlock after 15 minutes, as Robbie Cattanach snuck a perfectly struck free kick just inside the left post to put his side ahead.

League top scorer Stephen Domeneci continued to trouble the Tuggeranong defence, but the attacker was ruled offside for yet another disallowed goal after 23 minutes.

Tuggeranong’s best chance came in the 28th minute following a number of set pieces for the side, as Andrew Slavich went up for a close range header and was denied only by the Olympic crossbar. Moments later, Daniel Roberts fired in a well-struck long range effort, but Konstantinou pulled out a top-draw save to preserve Olympic’s lead.

The second half began with both sides looking to get an early hold after the break, but it was Olympic who continued to hold sway, frustrating their opponents with their build up play through the middle of the field.

After a number of missed opportunities, Cattanach popped up again, linking up with Jeremy Habtemariam with a silky one-two and calmly taking the ball past Barton; firing home to hand his side a two goal cushion in the 81st minute and put Olympic back into the FFA Cup National round for the second year in a row.

Frank Cachia's side will now look forward to the Round of 32 draw, as Olympic hope to build on the legacy left from last year’s cup run, when they finally bowed out to Sydney FC 3-0 in the semi-final.