FFA Cup Round 4 wrap from Western Australia

The drama of the FFA Cup was on show for all to see on Monday, with 16 intriguing ties, and the biggest shock on the day was Division Two side Balga beating NPL WA side Inglewood United 3-1 at Perth Plasterboard Centre Stadium.

Kris Spaseski and Dejan Andric put the visitors two to the good, before Mark Barnett pulled one back for Inglewood. But Danny Cain headed home the third to give Balga a huge upset.  

“It’s a huge day for the club,” Balga coach Aleks Vrteski said. “We went into the game with no fear, but we had a respect for Inglewood they are a big club in WA and have been a heavy hitter lately.  

"So, this result is a testament to the players giving me a total buy in into the change in system we have been working on over the last month, and this has impacted results in our first couple of games however is starting to bare the fruits.”

There was another shock at Wanneroo Reserve, where Amateur Division One side Warnbro Strikers beat state league side Wanneroo City 3-1. Evano De Pontes gave Warnbro the lead but the hosts levelled moments later through Craig Tooley, but the Strikers regained the lead through a Steve Dunn penalty.

The second half was tense with Warnbro defending doggedly and with five minutes to go Neal Beverage scored the decisive third goal to seal a memorable 3-1 win.

Division Two side Gosnells City also put in a great performance, pushing NPL WA side Bayswater City all the way, before going down 2-1 in a tight contest. Daryl Nicol gave Bayswater the lead on the hour, but Edward Wilson levelled for Gosnells sixty seconds later.

But the NPL side won it when Nicol converted a penalty on 67 minutes, but they had to withstand a gallant Gosnells side, who went close on a number of occasions late in the game.

“Long live the FFA Cup, Bayswater coach Chris Coyne said. “It’s got the romance and the prove was in the pudding today and Gosnells were fantastic for 95 minutes, and really pushed us to the hilt and credit must go to Marc Anthony and his team, they were great value today.”

Last season’s winners Armadale crashed out at the first hurdle, beaten on penalties by Gwelup Croatia after the game ended 2-2 after extra time. David Heagney opened the scoring early in the first period of extra time, and an own goal put Gwelup in control. But late goals from Ali Nazary’s and Michael Lawson sent the game to penalties and Gwelup prevailed 3-0.

In other games Sorrento beat ECU Joondalup 5-4 on penalties, this after keeper James Morgan scored a stoppage time equaliser to cancel out Bayley Brown-Montgomery’s first half goal. It went to penalties and Sorrento prevailed 5-4.

Rockingham City were also pushed all the way by Division One league leaders Ashfield before running out 2-1 winners. Riley Van Dieken scored both goals for Rockingham either side of half time, Gary Hill pulled one back 19 minutes from time, but they couldn’t find the equaliser. Second Division Curtin University also caused an upset by beating First Division side Mandurah city at Edinburgh Oval on Monday evening.

Perth SC beat Morley Windmills 3-1 at Dorrien Gardens with Frank Furfaro, Michael Domfeh and own goal, while Cockburn City eased past Joondalup United 4-0 at Dalmatinac Park, with doubles to Daniel Robinson and Lucas Mello.

Balcatta came from behind to beat Shamrock Rovers 3-1 at Grindleford Reserve, with a double from Dutch import Niels Willems and another from Gavin Knight, while Floreat Athena beat Kelmscott Roos 4-0 at Frye Park. A hat trick from Salvatore Ruffo and a brace from Angel Andres gave Fremantle City a 5-1 win against a gallant Queens Park at Hilton Park, while Stirling Lions were pushed hard before beating Western Knights 5-3 at Nash Field.

Canning City had to fight hard to beat Amateur side Port Kennedy 3-2 at Burrendah Reserve, with goals Mohammed Al Bunjamin, Ante Jukic and Jakeb Vucic, Olympic Kingsway eased through with a 8-2 win against Joondalup City, with goals Ajak Riak bagging four goals, while Charlie Breen scored a double, with others to Eraste Vyamunga and an own goal, while UWA Nedlands have also moved through with a 3-1 win against Swan United at the UWA Sports Park. Alex Kretowicz goals either side of half time, and another from Nikolas Theodorou put them through.

The fifth round draw will be live-streamed on the Football West Facebook page on May 2 with games to be played on the weekend of May 18/19.