FFA Cup wrap: goals galore

The Westfield FFA Cup Round of 32 teed off on Wednesday night with another dose of FFA Cup-style entertainment. Here’s what happened on match day 3...

Darwin Olympic 1

(Tsounias 19')

Adelaide United 6

(Carrusca p. 18', Jeggo 38', 39', Cirio 77', Babalj 78', Pablo Sanchez 79')

Holders Adelaide United had to work hard early on before eventually dispatching Darwin Olympic 6-1 in the competition's Northern Territory debut on Wednesday night.

The visitors from South Australia took the lead in the 18th minute when Billy Kathopoulis felled Osama Malik inside the area, Marcelo Carrusca stepping up to stroke the ball home from the penalty spot.

To their considerable credit, Darwin replied within 60 seconds, striker Michael Tsounias - who had already hit the post and sent another shot narrowly wide - racing through on goal to score past Eugene Galekovic.

The A-League side were back ahead in the 38th minute, James Jeggo heading home Michael Marrone's cross from the right wing. A minute later the former Melbourne Victory man broke clear of the Darwin backline to double both his tally and the Reds' advantage.

Sergio Cirio, last season's FFA Cup top scorer, put the result beyond doubt when he lashed home a classy fourth goal for the Reds with 13 minutes to go. Barely a minutes later and newcomer Eli Babalj, signed on loan from AZ Alkmaar, added a fifth from close range.

The floodgates were well and truly open when Pablo Sanchez then made it 6-1 with Adelaide's third goal in as many minutes, although mercifully that was as bad as it got for the valiant amateurs, who perhaps deserved a more flattering scoreline.

Sorrento FC 0

Sydney FC 2

(Smeltz 3’, Burgess 75’)

The West Australian PS4 NPL side made the worst possible start, conceding a penalty inside two minutes after defender Lewis Hall chopped down Robert Stambolziev.

Shane Smeltz, the ex-Perth glory striker and leading scorer at nib Stadium, expertly sent ‘keeper James Morgan the wrong way for an early lead.

Only the woodwork saved Sorrento from falling further behind before the break as first Matt Jurman and then Brandon O’Neill both hit the woodwork.

Jurman saw his header tipped onto the post from Chris Naumoff’s free-kick, while Morgan also pulled out a good save to push O’Neill’s curling strike against the bar.

The second half started much like the first as Stambolziev was brought down in the box by Todd Harnwell for another penalty to the visitors.

But this time Morgan read Smeltz perfectly, diving to his right to bat-away the penalty and keep Sorrento in the contest.

And Jamie Harnwell’s side was almost level 20 minutes from time when substitute Jack Salter was played through but his shot was straight at Vedran Janjetovic.

That miss would prove costly as Sydney substitute Max Burgess made the result safe with 15 minutes left with a fine finish from a tight angle to send the Sky Blues into the last 16.

Croydon Kings 1

(Klimek 66’)

Lions FC 2

(Khan 14’, Bonotto 47’)

Lions FC caused the first major shock of the 2015 Westfield FFA Cup after stunning Croydon Kings 2-1 at Elite Systems Football Centre in Adelaide.

Goals in either half from Shoheel Khan and Andre Bonotto handed the Brisbane Premier League outfit a deserved victory over their more fancied South Australia PS4 NPL opponents.

Lions FC started brightly and took a deserved lead in the 14th minute with Shoheel Khan on the end of a brilliant through ball before calmly slotting past Croydon keeper Nick Munro.

Croydon had a brilliant chance to level proceedings on the half hour mark but Shaun McGreevy skewed his header over the bar from close range.

And the miss proved costly with the visitors doubling their advantage just after the interval with Andre Bonotto netting from the penalty spot after a clumsy foul inside the area.

Lions FC players pose for a team photo prior to their clash with Croydon Kings.

The Kings pulled a goal back midway through the second half with Luke Klimek’s long-range strike taking a deflection before nestling into the back of the net.

Andreas Wiens hit the outside of the post in stoppage time for the hosts but Lions FC held firm to record a thoroughly deserved victory.

Rockdale City Suns 3

Alameddine (’21) Macallister (’44) Jesic (’57)

Perth SC 1

Keltie (’69)

The NPL NSW side took control of the contest in the first half on a bumpy pitch at Ilinden. On 21 minutes after good work from captain/coach Paul Reid it was the electric Toufic Alameddine with the opener.

And former A-League striker Dylan Macallister should’ve made it 2-0 minutes later smashing his shot wide as Perth continued to find it hard to make an impression on the clash. But the almost 2000 fans were soon on their feet as he was on target heading home a perfect deep cross from Alameddine to give the home side the two-goal buffer going into the break.

And after some concerted early pressure, Perth were virtually out of the contest on 57 minutes with Marko Jesic working his magic in the box to slot home for a 3-0 lead to the Suns.

Clark Keltie with the penalty to drag it back to 3-1 with 20 minutes to go, but no comeback was forthcoming with the Suns progressing to the Round of 16 at the expense of Perth SC.