MetroStars march on to Round of 32

The story line was meant to illustrate a Black & White victory but someone forgot to tell MetroStars, who brought their own Westfield FFA Cup Qualifying Final script to Coopers Stadium.

Adelaide City had a bout of stage fright as their main stars went missing and with them, any chance of pulling off a much-anticipated victory.

A big plaudit must go to Metro’s coach Robbie Saraceno, who orchestrated a game plan that was well-executed by his players that completely nullified City’s damaging playmakers, and setup a comprehensive 2-0 win.

City’s ball magnet Nicholas Bucco, and his cohorts Jordan Pudler and Thomas Love were well blanketed by a Metro side that hunted in packs. The work rate by all the Metro players was exceptional as they supported one another in creating a two-on-one contest across the park.

It was an uncharacteristic looking City who seemed hesitant on the ball as they struggled to get any fluent ball movement through the middle of the park, due to the relentless pressure Metro applied to the player on the ball.

Metro turned the game on its head in the 6th minute of the game when a well taken free-kick by Fabian Barbiero caught City’s keeper Luke Ostbye stranded and in two minds which allowed Jonathan Negus to glance a neat header into the top corner to open the scoring.

The goal gave Metro some added belief as they continued to tighten the shackles on the City midfielders.

Barbiero, Liam Wooding and Matthew Dawber (who ran his heart out all game) began to find plenty of the ball, but the resolute Black & White defence held strong with Paul Blefari and Mathew Halliday repelling Metro’s forward raids.

City had their best chance to snare an equalising goal in the 29th minute when Anthony Costa sent Joel Allwright for a run into the box with a clever pass which appeared to setup a certain close range shot on goal, only to be denied by what can only be described as a certain goal saving challenge, by Metro captain Michael D’Aloisio.

City tried hard to manufacture scoring opportunities but Metro’s defence was impregnable.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.