The Magic of the Cup will spring to life for its fourth year following confirmation of the match schedule and format for the 2017 Westfield FFA Cup Final Rounds, the stage when the Hyundai A-League clubs enter the national knockout competition.
This year saw a new record of Westfield FFA Cup entrants, with 721 clubs around the country competing in the Preliminary Rounds as Australia’s national knockout competition continues to grow in popularity.
This total will increase to 732 clubs with the inclusion of the ten Hyundai A-League clubs and New South Wales side Sydney United 58 FC, who received automatic entry to the Round of 32 as the PlayStation 4 NPL 2016 Champions of Australia.
The match days for this year’s Final Rounds (which encompasses the Round of 32 up to the Final) remain predominantly similar to last year with the Round of 32 to commence in the last week of July, while the Westfield FFA Cup Final 2017 will again be played midweek with the date set for Wednesday 22 November.
To view the Final Rounds match schedule and draw process click here
The draw for the Round of 32 will be conducted at 3pm (AEST) on Thursday 29 June 2017 LIVE on FOX SPORTS.
The Round of 32 draw will see the ten Hyundai A-League clubs placed into one pot meaning any of the 10 professional clubs could face a knock-out tie in the suburbs against a semi-pro or amateur Member Federation club. Further details regarding the draw will be announced closer to the date.
“The excitement and interest in the Westfield FFA Cup continues to rise in all parts of the country as Australia’s only true grassroots to professional competition moves into its fourth year,” said FFA CEO David Gallop.
“There have already been a plethora of magical moments and memorable scenes in the short history of the competition including Green Gully and Redlands United beating the Central Coast Mariners and Adelaide United respectively last year as Australia’s army of grassroots clubs and players look to take it up to the elite professionals.
“This year is certain to see more of those wonderful moments and atmospheres that only knockout Cup football can provide as semi professional and grassroots clubs dream of hosting Hyundai A-League teams in their own suburban backyards.”
On the announcement of the schedule and details for the Westfield FFA Cup 2017 Final Rounds, Peter Allen, Chief Executive Officer, Scentre Group, confirmed the Group’s pleasure in being the competition’s naming rights partner via its Westfield shopping centre portfolio.
“We are extremely proud to once again be the Major Sponsor of the Westfield FFA Cup,” said Allen.
“Just like the local clubs that participate in this competition, our Westfield shopping centres are very much part of their communities, and we look forward to showing our continued support to all the teams taking part in the Cup’s fourth season.”
FOX SPORTS will again provide comprehensive coverage from the Round of 32 onwards. The Westfield FFA Cup’s official broadcaster will show 11 matches LIVE (one match per match night) while providing coverage and updates, as well as LIVE streaming, of all non-broadcast matches. Details regarding the FOX SPORTS broadcast and streaming will be announced closer to the start of the Round of 32.
The first Round of 32 entrants from Member Federations will be decided tonight in Victoria with 2015 semi finalists Hume City taking on Moreland City, and 2014 semi finalists Bentleigh Greens hosting Green Gully, who made it to the final eight last year.
Each Member Federation’s entrants in the Round of 32 will be decided before the following dates:
24 May – Football Federation Victoria
31 May – Football NSW
5 June – Football West
11 June – Football Queensland
14 June – Northern NSW Football
17 June – Football Federation Tasmania
17 June – Capital Football (ACT)
20 June – Football Federation Northern Territory
25 June – Football Federation South Australia
* Dates are subject to change
Slot allocations for the Westfield FFA Cup 2017 Round of 32 remain unchanged with Football NSW receiving five (5) slots, Football Queensland and Football Federation Victoria four (4), Northern NSW Football and Football West two (2), and Football Federation South Australia, Football Federation Tasmania, Capital Football (ACT) and Football Federation Northern Territory each getting one slot.
Features of the Westfield FFA Cup 2017 Final Rounds
- The Round of 32 draw principles will remain unchanged with all ten (10) Hyundai A-League clubs placed into the same pot.
- The match schedule remains predominantly similar to last year, with the Round of 32 to be held over three weeks, the Quarter Finals played prior to the start of the Hyundai A-League 2017/18 Season, and the Semi Finals completed before the end of October.
- The draw principles that will see at least one Member Federation club advance to the Semi Finals will remain unchanged.
- Member Federation clubs will be provided the opportunity to host matches when drawn against a Hyundai A-League opponent.
- The Westfield FFA Cup Final 2017 is scheduled for Wednesday 22 November 2017.
FOX SPORTS Coverage
- The FOX SPORTS broadcast schedule will consist of 11 LIVE full broadcast matches and coverage of all other 20 matches from the Round of 32 onwards.
- Round of 32 will feature 16 matches across four match days. FOX SPORTS is committed to broadcasting four of the matches LIVE with cameras at the other 12 matches.
- Round of 16 will feature eight matches across two match days – two LIVE full broadcast with cameras at the six other matches.
- Quarter Finals will feature four matches across two match days – two LIVE full broadcast with cameras at the other two matches.
- Semi Finals will feature two matches across two match days, both broadcast LIVE.
- The Westfield FFA Cup Final 2017 will be broadcast LIVE.