Round of 16 wrap

The away teams were largely dominant after a goal avalanche during Super Tuesday in the round of 16 of the Westfield FFA Cup.

Tuggeranong United 0

Melbourne Victory 6

(Berisha 11, 21, 85, Del Pierre 14, Finkler 52, Pain 57)

Melboune Victory coasted through to the Westfield FFA Cup quarter finals with a 6-0 victory over Tuggeranong United in a magnificent occasion at Viking Park, Canberra.

In front of a huge crowd of 5,150 at the stadium in Canberra's south, Victory were pressured well by the Tuggies early but found the net after 13 minutes as Connor Pain drove down the left channel to the byline, with his cross deflecting off a defender before Besart Berisha bundled it home.

Three minutes later, Victory scored their second goal through Matthieu Delpierre after a beautifully executed set-play free kick was tapped in by the Frenchman in the six-yard box after Guilherme Finkler started the move.

It wasn't long until Victory secured a third as Pain again breezed past his marker to deliver an inch perfect cross that Berisha tapped in from close range.

The Tuggies managed to stem the flow until early in the second half when Finkler curled a brilliant free kick into the corner from 25 yards shortly followed by Pain side-footing the ball home at the back post to make it five.

A scramble in the six-yard box after a set piece was the Tuggies best chance of scoring before Berisha completed his hattrick from close range three minutes from time after another Pain run and cross.

Adelaide City 1

(Costa 43)

Brisbane Strikers 0

Adelaide City continued their Westfield FFA Cup run with a 1-0 win but were denied a larger victory by Brisbane Strikers goalkeeper Michael Turnbull.

The former Standard Liege and Roma gloveman made a string of brilliant saves to deny numerous City players at Marden Sports Complex but the home side triumphed thanks to Anthony Costa's opportunistic strike in the shadows of half-time.

Turnbull produced a sharp save to deny Nick Budin, who powerfully headed Joel Allright's 42nd-minute free-kick on target, but Costa pounced, stabbing the ball into the net.

Costa had earlier hit the woodwork from 30 yards and almost made it 2-0 just after the break only to be denied yet again by Turnbull.

The visiting goalkeeper - a former Australia international - claimed last week he had knocked back a contract with a Bundesliga club in the hope of playing in the Hyundai A-League, and the 33-year-old did his hopes no harm with a man-of-the-match performance in Adelaide.

Despite that, Turnbull was unable to help the Strikers into the Westfield FFA Cup quarter-finals, with his opposite number Ryan Veitch also making a couple of top stops as City advanced in front of 2,024 spectators.

To add insult to injury, the visitors had defender David Salin sent off in the closing stages for a second bookable offence.

Olympic FC 1

(McLean 57)

Central Coast Mariners 3

(Fitzgerald 2, Sim 38, Trifiro 86)

It all went to plan in the first half for the Mariners.

A flowing move down the wing was finished by the head of Nick Fitzgerald at the far post inside the first 120 seconds.  

It calmed any nerves for the Hyundai A-League side as they hammered the Olympic goal with keeper Shannon Lancini holding the line brilliantly.

For Olympic, Matt Byrne and Darren Gray made way due to injury, making their job even harder. And after Fitzgerald hit the post, Mariner Matt Sim made it 2-0 just before half-time with a rocket shot from the edge of the box.

But the comeback was on when Olympic’s Cup hero Jake McLean burst through, with his give-and-go on the edge of the box and smart finish dragged back the contest to 2-1 just inside the hour.

It made for an uncomfortable final half an hour as home fans roused and the red and white shirts pressed hard. But Glen Trifiro stemmed the tide when he profited from sloppy defence from keeper Lancini to seal the win with a low finish to end Olympic’s Cup run.

Sydney Olympic 1 

(Soeda 94)

Bentleigh Greens 2

(De Vries 7, McCormick 11)

For the second round in a row, Victoria’s Bentleigh Greens have come to NSW and won disposing of a jaded Sydney Olympic 2-1 at Lambert Park.

After eliminating another NSW PS4 NPL side in Blacktown City last month, the Greens repeated the dose thanks to a penalty from Liam McCormick and a superb individual goal from Ryan De Vries early in the first half.

Taiga Soeda pulled one back for Olympic in the 94th minute but it was too little too late for the home side.

The visitors capitalized on a slow start by Olympic, scoring twice in inside the first 11 minutes to send them on their way a surprise quarter-final berth.

John Anastasiadis’ side flew out of the blocks and were one-up inside seven minutes after Thomas Matthews was brought down inside the box by Olympic skipper Peter Markovic. McCormick sent Paul Henderson the wrong way to coolly convert from the spot.

They doubled their lead just four minutes later when De Vries pounced on some confusion in the home side’s defence, racing clear from just inside Olympic’s half and showing class to finish past Henderson.

Olympic, who were playing their second match in just 48 hours after losing the NSW PS4 NPL grand final on Sunday, didn’t throw in the towel and almost pulled one back before the break when Troy Danaskos rattled the crossbar.

Only a fantastic performance from Greens ‘keeper Alistair Bray denied Olympic a route back into the match after the break before Soeda pounced at the death but Bentleigh held on to keep their fairytale Westfield FFA Cup run alive.