Adelaide City v MetroStars - road to the decider

Football fans in South Australia are counting down the days until Adelaide City and MetroStars face-off for a spot in the Westfield FFA Cup Round of 32.

As is the case every year, it hasn’t been a straight forward passage for either team to this year’s decider – including a dramatic last minute winner and a penalty shootout.

Relive each side’s path to Saturday’s Final below.

Adelaide City 

Round 1
Adelaide City 7 (D. Smith 7’, 52’, 87’, 89’, C. Armiento 25’, M. Kamara 50’, OG 69’)
Adelaide Cobras 0
Adelaide City Park

A five-goal second half in Round 1 set Adelaide City on their way in Cup Football for 2017, this was perhaps new signing Dylan Smith’s best game during his spell for the Black and Whites before moving to Green Gully in Victoria. Youngster Carlo Armiento scored the goal of the game in the 25th minute – rifling home from outside the area.

Round 2
Adelaide City 4 (M. Kamara 35, A. Costa 37′, 57′, D. Smith 83′)
White City 0
Adelaide City Park

City were favoured to progress through a second home tie against a side in a lower tier of South Australian and they turned in another professional performance. Two goals in each half saw Damian Mori’s men advance to a massive Quarter-Final task.

CLICK HERE for the full story.



Round 1
MetroStars 3 (C. Pascarella 3’, L. Wooding 57’, 85’)
Adelaide Olympic 3 (C. Pounendis 7’, 29’, 31’)
MetroStars won 4-3 on penalties.
TK Shutter Reserve

MetroStars were very nearly bundled out of the Cup at their first hurdle! A hattrick to Adelaide Olympic’s Christos Pounendis had shot the visitors ahead in Klemzig before a second half fight back spearheaded by Liam Wooding forced extra-time and the lottery of a penalty shootout. The home crowd advantage proved the difference as Isaac Carmody in goals brought his side over the line.

Round 2
Cumberland United 1 (F. Marafioti 22’ (pen))
MetroStars 5 (M. Dawber 3’, 6’, 16’, 59’, C. Esposito 54’)
A.A Bailey Reserve

A fantastic hattrick within the first 16 minutes from Matthew Dawber expelled any thoughts MetroStars had of their Round 1 clash as they dispatched Cumberland United 5-1 away from home. Dawber added his fourth whilst Esposito continued his knack of popping up with a goal on a regular basis. This one was over with a half hour remaining.

CLICK HERE for the full story.

FFSA Round of 32 decider