Finalists decided in Canberra

The Westfield FFA Cup Qualifying Final in Canberra will see Canberra Olympic take on Tigers FC in a blockbuster match-up at Deakin Stadium on Saturday 18th June following last night's night’s semi-final results.

Westfield FFA Cup: Early Olympic Salvo Does for Blue Devils
Wednesday 8th June 2016
Belconnen United 1 (Dustin Wells 32’) Canberra Olympic 4 (Philippe Bernabo-Madrid 3’, 7’, Michael Reeve 81’, Tom McLachlan 90+4’)

Canberra Olympic progressed to the Westfield FFA Cup Qualifying Final with a 4-1 success over Belconnen United at McKellar Park.

A brace of early goals from livewire striker Philippe Bernarbo-Madrid set Olympic on a path they rarely looked like deviating from, despite the best efforts of a below par, and strangely subdued Blue Devils outfit.

In the absence of Head Coach Dean Ugrinic, who is overseas, Belconnen made a sluggish start and were caught napping twice in the opening ten minutes of the tie. In the very first attack of the match, Tim Bobolas rose highest to connect with a cross and send a header at goal that cannoned back off the post leaving Adam Perakovic stranded. Bernabo-Madrid had the simplest of tasks to dart in and nod home from close range.

The celebrations amongst the Olympic faithful had barely subsided when they were in dreamland once more. Belconnen turned over possession on half-way and a rapid break culminated with Jordan Tsekenis squaring across the face of goal for Bernabo-Madrid, unmarked on the edge of the six-yard box, to slide home his second of the match and leave Belconnen up against it.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Westfield FFA Cup: Hat-Trick from Abot Gets Tigers Purring
Wednesday 8th June 2016
Tigers FC 4 (Nicolas Abot 24’, 65’, 67’, Alan Gaston 29’) Tuggeranong United 1 (Marco Gayer 81’)

By Ahmed Jbeili

Tigers FC is through to the Westfield FFA Cup Qualifying Final after beating Tuggeranong United 4-1 at Woden Park on Tuesday night. A hat-trick by Nicolas Abot, and a goal by Alan Gaston, sends the PS4 NPL leaders through to next week’s Final.

The former Westfield FFA Cup Qualifying finalists Tuggeranong put up a good fight early on but were outclassed by the Tigers in the end.

The action didn’t take long to get going with Tigers FC almost scoring in the first minute of the match. A long ball from defender Hussein Fureje found striker Stephen Domenici whose shot was just blocked in time by Tuggers defender Cameron Doherty. Tuggers hit back two minutes later with Andrew Slavich trying an ambitious long shot that chipped Tigers goalkeeper Jakob Cole, only just going wide of the post.

Tigers FC were controlling a lot of the ball early on with attackers Julian Borgna and Abot looking dangerous every time they got the ball. Abot could’ve opened the scoring in the 15th minute, just missing the goal after a lovely cross in by Gaston.

Tuggers were not backing down early and were very unlucky not to score through attacker Nikolaos Kalfas who had only keeper Cole to beat and hit the post. Against the run of play, Tigers FC went on to open the scoring in the 23rd minute thanks to Abot.

Domenici chipped the ball over the defence to the Argentinean striker, who slotted in a beautiful volley to put Tigers up by one. It was unfortunate for Tuggeranong, as they had momentum going forward on the break and looked more likely of the two of finding the opening goal.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.