Olympic, Wanderers and Magpies progress in ACT

For the second night in succession penalties were needed to separate two PS4 NPL heavyweights in the nation's capital as last year's ACT entrant was sent packing.

Konstantinou penalty hero as Olympic triumph

Wednesday 18th May 2016
Canberra Olympic 2 (Jordan Tsekenis 9’, 42’) Gungahlin United 2 (Jason O’Dwyer 12’, 16’) – after extra-time, Canberra Olympic win 4-1 on penalties

By William Bremner

Ultimately the reward of a place in the next round went to Canberra Olympic who triumphed 4-1 in the shoot-out as Angelo Konstantinou saved two Gungahlin United spot-kicks. The Gunners will be disappointed that they have exited this year’s tournament at the first hurdle, having won the cup in 2015, but on the balance of play might concede that Olympic were worthy winners. 

The game started at a frantic pace with both teams looking to exert early authority. It was no surprise therefore when an early goal came. Olympic it was who broke the deadlock when Jordan Tsekenis bundled over the line from close range after a Tim Bobolas cross had been deflected toward the far post and he was first to react. Two minutes later it was all square when Jason O'Dwyer sent a bullet like header into the corner of the net from close range. Gunners made it 2-1 when O'Dwyer timed his run to perfection and eased a finish passed the out rushing Konstantinou in the Olympic goal. Only fifteen minutes on the clock and three goals notched augured well for the rest of the tie. 

If the first fifteen had been electric the next period settled into a thrust and parry where both contestants had chances. Tsekenis might have done better when found with a delightful cross but his first time attempt was straight at Josh Lagudah in the Gunners goal.  In fact it wasn't until the final ten minutes of the half that Olympic began to dominate proceedings and in that period they were able to get their equaliser. Gunners won a corner that Olympic cleared and the busy Daniel Colbertaldo picked up the loose ball and played a neat pass to Tom McLachlan who in turn released Tsekenis beyond a somewhat statuesque Gunners defence. Lagudah came quickly off his line but was rounded by Tsekenis who stroked home gleefully into a vacant net. 

Taylor strike enough for Magpies

Wednesday 18th May 2016
Weston-Molonglo FC 1 (Brant Taylor 72’) O’Connor Knights 0

By Ahmed Jbeili

Weston-Molonglo FC is through to the Quarter Finals of the Westfield FFA Cup after defeating O’Connor Knights 1-0, thanks to a goal by Brant Taylor. It took until the 72nd minute, but a brilliant chip over the Knights defence by Jarrod Adams met Taylor’s head just at the top of the box and went right over Knights keeper Ante Jurkovic for the match defining moment.   

It was a chilly night at Woden Park, but both sides starting the match off all guns blazing. Fast-paced from the start, the back and forth action between the sides showed real determination and intent to make it to the next round.  Knights’ midfielders Hector Cerda-Cid and Steven Zardo’s calm play on the ball was controlling the match early on. Play throughs to speedy striker Brett Forward was the main target on a number of occasions for the away side. As for the home side, Peter Spiller was the anchor in the midfield who was dictating the play and had a number passes played beautifully outside to right winger Kian Prammer, who just couldn’t find a clear shot on goal. The first 30 minutes had everything but a goal. Whilst there were shots on target, both keepers weren’t troubled.   

Despite getting forward and getting into some good positions, the Knights couldn’t find a breakthrough. Shots from distance from Forward and Zardo were easy saves for Weston keeper Simon Barber. Some dangerous runs out wide by wingers Kwan Hap Lee and Lachlan Riddell looked promising but the Weston defence looked strong lead by Adam Woods and Adams. Weston’s best option going forward was led by Spiller. Whenever he had the ball upfront, Weston looked threatening on the attack. Some great link-up play late in the half with midfielders Paul Quinn and Taylor had Weston in a great position to score but were stopped by a tough defence lead by the ever reliable captain Keenan Dodd and Hassan Kamara. The first half finished scoreless with both defences looking like it would take something special to find the back of the net. 

Blues run halted by Woden-Weston 

Wednesday 18th May 2016
Woden-Weston FC 4 (Daniel Graham 12’, Daniel Di-Salvatore 21’, Goran Milutinovic 47’, Brady Nixon 85’) Brindabella Blues 0

By Isaac Norwoozi

Woden-Weston FC moved into the last eight of the Westfield FFA Cup at the expense of the lowest ranked team left in the competition as goals from Daniel Graham, Daniel Di-Salvatore, Goran Milutinovic and substitute Brady Nixon ensured that the PS4 NPL side would emerge, from a potentially tricky tie, 4-0 victors. 

Brindabella Blues kicked off to start the half, and Woden-Weston put the pressure on early, ensuring the Blues got no time on the ball. Woden's pressure off the ball soon turned to dominance on it, looking dangerous every time they moved forward. They were soon rewarded for their efforts, going up in the 14th minute via Daniel Graham. Despite the early goal, Woden pushed forward, coming close to adding a second just a minute later. They would end up with a second half way through the half, as Daniel Di-Salvatore found enough space to get a shot away and score. It was the second goal that finally woke Brindabella up, as the Blues pushed forward looking for one of their own. However, the Blues' push forward didn't last long, as Woden-Weston regained control, and kept it until half time. 


CLICK HERE for a full report from all three matches.