Perth Glory surge into Westfield FFA Cup final

Perth Glory are through to their second straight Westfield FFA Cup decider after a sensational 3-1 semi-final win over Melbourne City at nib Stadium on Wednesday night.

Glory took a 2-1 lead to half-time thanks to goals from Gyorgy Sandor and a Ben Garuccio own goal either side of debutant Matt Millar’s header for City.

The visitors tried hard to get back into the contest after the break but it was in vain as Chris Harold added a third for Glory to ice the result.

Kenny Lowe's side will now get the chance to make up for the disappointment of last year when they were beaten in the final by Adelaide United.

Glory will meet the winner of next Wednesday’s second semi-final between PS4 NPL outfit Hume City and A-League giant and reigning champions Melbourne Victory. 

While City dominated possession early on, the home side were the ones creating the chances mostly from set pieces.

Glory defender Josh Risdon controls the ball ahead of City midfielder Steve Kuzmanovski.

And it was no surprise when Glory went in front from that avenue midway through the first half.

A deep corner was headed back across goal by Chris Harold, with Tando Velaphi only able to parry the ball into the path of Sandor who swept it home from close range.

It continued a cracking start to the season for the Hungarian who has now scored three goals in his last three games.

A sickening collision between Velaphi and Guyon Fernandez forced the City keeper to be substituted eight minutes from the break, replaced by Thomas Sorensen.

It didn’t seem to affect the visitors as they drew level through debutant Millar two minutes before the break.

The youngster rose highest to glance Aaron Mooy’s out-swinging corner inside the far post.

But City was level for less than five minutes. A long-ball forward from Ante Covic was allowed to bounce before Harold flicked it into the path of Fernandez.

Just as the Dutch striker was about to strike at goal, Garuccio slid in to try and clear but only succeeded in lobbing the ball over Sorensen and into the net.

City were inches away from an equaliser midway through the second half when Mooy drew a diving save from Covic before David Williams volleyed the rebound just wide of the post.

It proved a costly miss as just two minutes later Glory doubled their advantage through Harold to ensure their spot in the final.

Diego Castro deserved much of the credit for it though, picking out Harold with a sublime through ball and the winger did the rest.

Perth Glory 3 (Sandor 24’, Garuccio (og) 45+3’, Harold 72’)

Melbourne City 1 (Millar 43’)