Thrilling FFA Cup Final won by Sydney FC in extra time
In the most entertaining Westfield FFA Cup Final to date, a relentless Sydney FC have edged a brave Adelaide United 2-1 after extra time in a cracking Cup Final on Tuesday night.
The win makes it a clean sweep of domestic trophies in 2017 for Graham Arnold's Sky Blues.
STORY OF THE GAME
- SUPER SAVE! 11 mins Sydney FC keeper Andrew Redmayne denying Ryan Kitto low down.
- GOAL! 18 mins and Sydney FC's Milos Ninkovic makes it 1-0 to the hosts.
- Momentum shift, as the Sky Blues began to pick apart and play through the overworked Reds' backline.
- TOP STOP: Paul Izzo in the United goal denying Bobo as Sydney FC pressed for a second.
- Ninkovic with an injury concern to his calf. He was off the pitch but came back on rather gingerly.
- 1-0 HALF TIME: Entertaining, great tempo on a pristine Allianz surface with the Sky Blues deservedly one up.
- REDS HIT THE BAR! One minute in and a beautiful free kick from Ben Garuccio rattled Redmayne's crossbar.
- Nobbled Ninkovic with two moments of sublime skill before subbed off on 61 mins. Carney on.
- GOAL! 67 mins and Adelaide's Nik Mileusnic with a peach to make it 1-1.
- CRUCIAL SAVES: Izzo twice denied Sydney FC in a frantic final 10 mins of penalty shouts and desperate play.
- 1-1 FULL TIME
- MISSED CHANCES FOR REDS Exciting sub Mark Ochieng with a brilliant driving run into the Sky Blues' box that almost resulted in a goal. From the loose ball, the Reds blasted over.
- Minutes later the electric Ochieng set up Blackwood for another great chance.
- HALF TIME IN EXTRA TIME: 1-1
- GOAL! Bobo buried his header in front of the Cove to make it 2-1.
- RED CARD AND HUGE BUST UP! An incredible bust up near the tunnel involving almost all players and coaches after Reds defender Michael Marrone was red carded.
- 5 mins of time added on.
- FULL TIME: 2-1
Ninkovic, Sydney FC 18’: 1-0
Sydney FC pounced with lovely interplay between Bobo and Brosque, releasing Ninkovic in space facing the Reds box, he shaped to hit, shifted to his right and fired low past Paul Izzo in the Reds goal.
Mileusnic, Adelaide 67’: 1-1
Gulum with the long raking ball into the box. On the right, Mileusnic controlled it, cleverly shifted it across, brought it onto his left foot and curled a pearler past Redmayne.
Bobo, Sydney FC 110’: 2-1
Mierzejewski with the perfect set piece delivery and Bobo's header downwards beat the excellent Izzo.